We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Novak Djokovic has officially pulled out of the Miami Open with just two days until the tournament starts. It comes after his coach said the world No 1 hadn’t “given up” on the idea that he could still play despite being forced to withdraw from Indian Wells. Djokovic is unable to enter the US unvaccinated under the current travel restrictions, leaving him unable to play the ‘sunshime double’.
Djokovic has withdrawn from the upcoming Miami Open after missing the Indian Wells Masters. The world No 1 had his vaccine waiver request denied by Homeland Security which forced him to pull out of Indian Wells and was originally holding out hope that things could be resolved in time for him to compete in Miami.
But the six-time champion in Florida has now given up and taken his name off the entry list with two days until the tournament begins. Tournament director James Blake confirmed the news on Friday, telling Tennis Channel that they “tried everything” to get the Serb into the country to compete.
“We tried everything to allow Novak Djokovic to enter with an exemption, but that didn’t happen,” the former pro-turned-tournament boss said. “It is obvious that we are one of the biggest tournaments and we would love to have all the best players in the world.”
Emma Raducanu has to be selfish and is spot on to ditch the BJK Cup [LATEST]
Blake also revealed that the tournament tried to discuss the situation with the government but were unable to work around the restrictions, which are set to be dropped on May 11. ” We did what we could,” he added.
“We were trying to talk to the government, but that decision was not in our hands.” It comes after Djokovic’s coach Goran Ivanisevic said the world No 1 was still hoping to find a solution in time to play in Miami after withdrawing from Indian Wells.
“We haven’t given up (on Miami),” the Croat told Tennis Majors last week. “He wants to play and I would love it if they allow him – it would be great both for him and for tennis.”
Alcaraz ready to reignite rivalry compared to Djokovic and Nadal [PREVIEW]
Emma Raducanu makes painful Great Britain decision as return date set [UPDATE]
Carlos Alcaraz admits he has Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic to thank [QUOTES]
Meanwhile, several Florida politicians tried to lobby President Biden’s government to change their original decision and allow Djokovic into the country in time to play the Miami Open. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis wrote an open letter to Biden urging him to allow the 22-time Grand Slam champion to compete, while Senator Rick Scott also slamemd the government’s decision.
But Djokovic has now conceded and withdrawn from the second Masters 1000 of the year. He is set to be back in action in Monte Carlo, with the first event of the clay season getting underway on April 8.
Source: Read Full Article