Thomas Tuchel has dismissed suggestions that Edouard Mendy should be dropped after Chelsea’s 3-2 defeat to West Ham on Saturday.
The Senegal international has established himself as one of the Premier League’s best goalkeepers since his £22 million move from Rennes last year.
But the 29-year-old had a game to forget against West Ham at the London Stadium as he gave away a penalty in the first half by bringing down Jarrod Bowen following Jorginho’s loose back-pass.
Mendy was then caught out for West Ham’s winner in the 87th minute as he could not adjust quickly enough to keep out Arthur Masuaku’s miss-hit cross.
But despite his errors, Tuchel is adamant that Mendy will keep his place during Chelsea’s busy winter schedule.
When asked if he will consider dropping Mendy by beIN Sports, Tuchel shook his said and replied: ‘I don’t think so.’
Tuchel has also called on his Chelsea players to reduce ‘individual mistakes’ following their second loss in the Premier League this season.
‘Five [goals conceded] in three [games] is not the problem, three in one game is the problem,’ said Tuchel.
‘The problem is the goal we conceded against Man United was a big mistake by ourselves, we gave the goal against Watford away by a big, big mistake. Today was the same.
‘If you do this, if we constantly give goals away by big mistakes we cannot have results on the highest level.
‘We hate to lose, it happened today, we know why.
‘We need to stay focused, reduce individual mistakes then we will have results.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Source: Read Full Article