Tottenham star Son Heung-min confirmed fit for World Cup

'We have to show great respect for our fans,' says Tottenham's Conte

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Tottenham ace Son Heung-min has confirmed he will be fit for this winter’s World Cup in Qatar. The South Korea international was forced to undergo surgery at the end of last week after sustaining four fractures around his left eye during Spurs’ Champions League victory over Marseille in France.

“Hi everyone,” the forward wrote on Instagram on Wednesday. “I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you all for the messages of support I have received over the last week. I have read so many of them and truly, truly appreciate you all.

“In a tough time I received a lot of strength from you! Playing for your country at the World Cup is the dream of so many children growing up, just as it was one of mine too. I won’t miss this for the world. I can’t wait to represent our beautiful country, see you soon. Sonny.”

Son was forced off after 29 minutes of the clash with Marseille following a collision with Chancel Mbemba. The 30-year-old then missed his side’s Premier League defeat to Liverpool on Sunday and is expected to be absent for the Lilywhites’ Carabao Cup match with Nottingham Forest on Wednesday night and their Premier League showdown with Leeds on Saturday.

MUST READ: Liverpool star Firmino amongst stars dealt Brazil World Cup squad snub

Son has been one of Tottenham’s best players since joining the club from Bayer Leverkusen in 2015. And Spurs boss Antonio Conte appears to have been granted his wish after telling reporters he hoped the player would be fit to play in Qatar.

“Now, he is at home,” Conte said on Sunday. “I sent him a message yesterday after the surgery and Sonny was really, really disappointed for this situation. But I hope for him he will recover very well and play in the World Cup.

DON’T MISS…
Man City boss Pep Guardiola snaps at question over Liverpool sale
Liverpool’s Roberto Firmino breaks silence after Brazil World Cup snub
Liverpool ‘assessing Isaksen move’ as Lijnders makes ‘special’ claim

“I was a player and I know the importance of playing in the World Cup. Tonight he was the first person to play this game [vs Liverpool], for sure he missed us. I am confident – confident that he can come back quickly and play the World Cup for South Korea.”

Son enjoyed a sensational campaign last time around as he jointly won the Premier League Golden Boot alongside Liverpool ace Mohamed Salah after scoring 23 times. But he has underwhelmed during the early stages of this season and has only found the back of the net five times in all competitions. But the ace will now be hoping to deliver on the biggest stage of all, with South Korea aiming to topple Portugal, Ghana and Uruguay in Group H and qualify for the World Cup knockout stages.

Source: Read Full Article