Head coach Antonio Conte leaves Tottenham by mutual consent
Tottenham are considering relieving Cristian Stellini of his duties ahead of Thursday night’s Premier League showdown with Manchester United, according to reports. The Italian is in the spotlight after his side’s 6-1 drubbing at the hands of Newcastle on Sunday. Now, it appears Spurs are ready to wield the axe once more.
Tottenham only appointed Stellini as manager on an interim basis at the end of last month, shortly after the departure of Antonio Conte. Yet Spurs’ season has gone from bad to worse in the time since, with Sunday’s 6-1 defeat away at Newcastle the lowest blow of them all.
Now, according to the Evening Standard, Tottenham are considering sacking Stellini ahead of Thursday night’s crunch Premier League clash with Manchester United.
It’s claimed some within the club are unsure if the Italian would still be in the dugout by the time that game gets under way. Ryan Mason is described as an ‘obvious contender’ to lead the team, having previously done so following the dismissal of Jose Mourinho in 2021.
But Tottenham could even bring forward the appointment of a new manager to lift some of the doom and gloom mood around the club.
Julian Nagelsmann has been linked, having dropped out of the running to replace Graham Potter at Chelsea, as well as former boss Mauricio Pochettino.
Pochettino is, however, not believed to be under consideration at Tottenham despite working wonders there in the past. And there’s an expectancy the Argentine will take charge of Chelsea and take over from interim boss Frank Lampard at the end of the season.
Tottenham were fourth when they sacked Conte at the end of last month, following a 3-3 draw with Southampton.
Ever since, however, things have worsened in the capital. Tottenham are now six points behind Newcastle and Manchester United, having played more matches than both sides.
And they’re also in danger of slipping further down the table with Aston Villa, Liverpool and Brighton also pushing for a place in Europe next season.
The report says several of Tottenham’s senior players were ‘surprised’ at the board’s decision to give Stellini the job. Many had initially felt Mason would have been a better fit instead – and that’s a feasible possibility at the current moment in time.
Speaking after Sunday’s loss to Newcastle, meanwhile, Stellini apologised to fans who had made the trip to St James’ Park.
“There’s no words to explain a performance like this,” Stellini said. “The first 25 minutes were the worst I have ever seen. I hope that the system we changed to give us energy was the wrong decision.
“If it was that, it’s my responsibility. We played with four at the back and if this is the mistake, it’s my mistake. In 21 minutes we conceded four shots and four goals, so worse than this is very difficult to see, but there are reasons.
“We have to find the reasons why. If it is the system it’s easier to change. We change the system again and we have the result. If it’s not the system we have to analyse why.
“We have to apologise with everyone. And I hope that today is my responsibility because changing system was my decision. Like I said, I hope it was this that was the problem.”
Tottenham lost 2-0 to Manchester United earlier in the season, with Fred and Bruno Fernandes on target for Erik ten Hag’s team.
Want the latest football news? Join our brand new Facebook group by clicking here
Source: Read Full Article