Newcastle have all but given up hope of reviving Jesse Lingard loan deal after Manchester United demanded a £12m survival bonus – with the England star FUMING at Old Trafford bosses
- Jesse Lingard is wanted on loan by Newcastle after being unused at Man United
- United demanded an initial £2.5m loan fee plus a £12m survival bonus though
- This included covering the 29-year-old’s £100,000-a-week wages in full too
- Lingard is upset that his boyhood club are driving such a hard bargain in the deal
Jesse Lingard’s loan move to Newcastle looks dead in the water over Manchester United’s demands for a £12million survival bonus.
After a day of deadlock and rapidly deteriorating relations between United and the Lingard camp, Newcastle have all but given up hope of reviving the deal.
It is understood the club’s new Saudi Arabian owners baulked at the bonus – payable if they stay in the Premier League – in addition to a £2.5m loan fee and the player’s £100,000-a-week wages.
Jesse Lingard is furious with Manchester United after they denied his loan move to Newcastle
He’s keen to leave on loan by the end of the transfer window but United’s demands are too high
Newcastle are Lingard’s preferred destination despite approaches from West Ham and Spurs
The potential cost of loaning Lingard for the final four months of his United contract would be £16.5m, the equivalent of £1m-a-week, making it one of the most expensive loan deals in history.
United believe that is a fair price for an experienced England international and say the bonus is reasonable considering the financial impact of relegation from the top flight.
Club sources also argue Lingard could have made a permanent move this month, but wants to leave Old Trafford on a more lucrative free transfer at the end of the season.
The 29-year-old, on the other hand, is angry and frustrated over the club’s stance after United had already rejected loan offers from Tottenham and West Ham because they are seen as top-four rivals. Leicester, Everton and Burnley have also expressed an interest.
Lingard believes he is being punished for refusing to sign a new contract at Old Trafford, or agree a permanent transfer that would guarantee United a fee. He also feels let down that he has made just two starts this season after being promised opportunities by former manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the summer.
The 29-year-old felt he was given false promises by former manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Interim boss Ralf Rangnick spoke to Lingard, who is currently in Dubai, by telephone on Tuesday and gave him the green light to leave, the German telling him he is not part of his plans.
A source close to the player said: ‘It’s pointless Jesse going into work now, knowing he isn’t going to feature.’
It is understood Lingard was surprised to receive a call from one United executive asking him where his ‘head was at’, when it is common knowledge that he wants to make a fresh start at another club after a successful loan at West Ham last year.
He now faces being stuck at United for the rest of the season with little prospect of playing.
Lingard, who is currently in Dubai, has been holding discussions with Ralf Rangnick
Newcastle remain in talks with Lyon over a £30m move for Brazil midfielder Bruno Guimaraes. Manager Eddie Howe is hopeful of landing the deep-lying playmaker, but the French club released an angry statement yesterday denying a deal had been agreed.
Guimaraes is said to be keen on the move and a medical has provisionally been booked in for tomorrow, following Brazil’s game in Ecuador this evening.
Newcastle will return with a second offer for Brighton defender Dan Burn after an £8m approach was rejected. They also expect to sign Bayer Leverkusen left back Mitchel Bakker for £16m if the German club find a replacement.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article