Luka Jovic becomes the latest Real Madrid player to test positive for Covid-19, while Atletico Madrid record five news cases – including manager Diego Simeone
- Luka Jovic tests positive a day after four Real Madrid team-mates got Covid
- At Atletico Madrid, they recorded five new cases including Diego Simeone
- Barcelona said they have three new positive tests, including Philippe Coutinho
Real Madrid forward Luka Jovic has become the latest player at the Spanish club to have tested positive for Covid-19.
Real confirmed the news on Thursday, a day after four other players in Thibaut Courtois, Federico Valverde, Eduardo Camavinga and Vinicius Jr all contracting the virus.
Luka Modric, Rodrygo, Marco Asensio, Gareth Bale, Marcelo, Andriy Lunin, Isco and David Alaba also tested positive earlier this month.
Real Madrid forward Luka Jovic is the latest player to test positive for Covid-19 at the club
LaLiga has been on a winter break since December 22 but positive Covid-19 cases have emerged at an array of major clubs in the league.
Atletico Madrid have recorded five COVID-19 positives, including manager Diego Simeone, while Barcelona had three more cases among their players on Thursday
Atleti said Simeone, captain Koke, midfielder Hector Herrera plus forwards Antoine Griezmann and Joao Felix all tested positive for the coronavirus.
‘All of them are asymptomatic and isolating at their respective homes, in strict compliance with the health authorities’ guidelines,’ Atletico said in a statement.
Atleti, fifth in LaLiga on 29 points after 18 games, host Rayo Vallecano on Sunday.
Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone was one of five positive cases at his club on Thursday
Philippe Coutinho was one of three players to test positive at Barcelona on Thursday
Barcelona said midfielder Philippe Coutinho, defender Sergino Dest and winger Ez Abde were the latest players to return positive tests.
The Catalans had already been hit by a number of COVID-19 cases nL1N2TE0FI in their squad, with Ousmane Dembele, Samuel Umtiti and Gavi set to miss Sunday’s LaLiga trip to Real Mallorca after testing positive.
Clement Lenglet, Dani Alves, Jordi Alba and Alejandro Balde also returned positive tests this week.
“Footballers Sergino Dest, Coutinho and Ez Abde have tested positive for COVID-19. The players are in good health and self-isolating at home. The club has reported the cases to the relevant authorities,” Barcelona said.
Barca, who last played in the league in a 1-1 draw at Sevilla on Dec. 21, are seventh on 28 points from 18 games.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article