Jeff Stelling quit Sky Sports due to sacking of Soccer Saturday co-hosts

Jeff Stelling’s shock decision to leave Sky Sports’ Soccer Saturday was reportedly sparked by his fury over the axing of his old co-hosts and pals.

The 66-year-old has presented the popular football show since 1994 and emotionally announced on Saturday that he will be stepping away at the end of the season.

Stelling, a Hartlepool fan, has been the loveable face associated with years of weekend football coverage on Sky, but made the surprise announcement to leave live on air last weekend.

And The Sun reports that Stelling left due to being annoyed by the manner in which his former co-hosts Phil Thompson, Matt Le Tissier and Charlie Nicholas were booted off the show last year.

The official reason behind their axing remains a mystery, though it was said that Sky were moving in a new direction with their coverage.

According to The Sun, Stelling was left bemused after not being consulted properly and felt a sense of loyalty to his fallen comrades.

https://sportstoft.com/soccer/jeff-stelling-quit-sky-sports-due-to-sacking-of-soccer-saturday-co-hosts/

An insider told The Sun: “Phil, Charlie and Matt were not just colleagues they were mates, and that means a huge amount to him.

“Jeff is believed to have thought of little else other than of leaving since then.

Do you think Soccer Saturday is a better show now than it was last year? Let us know in the comments section.

Don't miss a thing with our football updates!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

“He has just been waiting for the right opportunity. If the three hadn’t been axed the way they were, Jeff would have stayed on.”

Stelling, who also hosted Countdown on Channel 4 from 2008 to 2011, received a standing ovation from the studio pundits when he announced his decision.

He said: “I’ve loved every moment but the time eventually comes to blow the final whistle.

“It is time to let somebody else have a go at what is the best job in the world.”

Source: Read Full Article