Arsenal fans will like what Mikel Arteta has said about Tottenham appointing Antonio Conte

Nuno sacked by Tottenham after fifth Premier League defeat of the season

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Tottenham unveiled Antonio Conte as their new boss on Tuesday morning little more than 24 hours after sacking Nuno Espirito Santo. Nuno was given his marching orders after failing to curb the side’s dismal run of form.

Conte returns to England for the second time in his career after leading Chelsea to the Premier League title in 2017 and the FA Cup a year later.

Following Conte’s appointment, a whole host of top-flight managers have lauded the Italian for his endeavours with the Blues and his previous club Inter Milan.

But Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta was reluctant to heap too much praise on his new rival when asked for his views during a press conference on Friday morning.

And his lacklustre comments towards Conte could well please Gunners fans, who will be hoping the arrival of the 52-year-old doesn’t inspire Tottenham to dominate in north London.

“They made a decision to bring in somebody else,” said Arteta. “We know he has had a really successful past in the last two places he has been and we will see what he does here.”

READ MORE: Gareth Southgate gives Man Utd star Jadon Sancho a reality check

 

Unless Arsenal are drawn against Tottenham in one of the cup competitions, Arteta will have to wait just over two months for the opportunity to go head-to-head with Conte.

The Gunners are set to travel to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in mid-January for a Premier League clash and Spurs will be seeking revenge in that encounter after being defeated by their rivals in the top-flight in September.

Conte took charge of his first game as Spurs boss on Thursday night as Tottenham hosted Vitesse in the Europa Conference League.

And the Italian had a dream start as his new side went 3-0 up in the opening half an hour of the game.

Son Heung-min notched the first goal of the Conte era as he lashed home after Lucas Moura’s shot had been saved.

Moura then exploited a gaping hole in the Vitesse defence to add a second, before Jacob Rasmussen turned the ball into his own net.

But Spurs looked shaky in defence and Vitesse were soon back in the contest as Rasmussen headed home from a corner before Matus Bero guided the ball beyond Hugo Lloris to reduce the Dutch team’s deficit to 3-2 at the break.

DON’T MISS

England squad announced as Gareth Southgate snubs Man Utd pair
Man Utd star Sancho told he won’t play regularly after Solskjaer call
Man Utd ‘hard to turn down’ as Rice is advised on future – EXCLUSIVE

An action-packed second half saw Christian Romero sent off for Spurs, before Vitesse defender Danilho Doekhi and goalkeeper Markus Schubert were later dismissed.

And Spurs hung on to ensure Conte’s reign in north London began with three points.

The former Italy manager will oversee his first Premier League game for his new club when Tottenham travel to Everton on Sunday.

Source: Read Full Article