‘This is the only chance’: Anthony Joshua agreed to face Tyson Fury in BLOCKBUSTER Battle of Britain showdown DESPITE a 60-40 purse split in favour of the Gypsy King as he believes the opportunity won’t come around again, claims Eddie Hearn
- Anthony Joshua accepted Tyson Fury’s terms for a pre-Christmas fight this week
- A 60-40 purse split in favour of Fury had been agreed and accepted by Joshua
- The fight is yet to be confirmed, but both parties are making good progress
- Eddie Hearn has claimed Joshua believes this is his ‘only chance’ to fight Fury
- Hearn believes Fury’s camp are genuine, despite speculation to the contrary
Anthony Joshua wants to take on Tyson Fury as he believes it is his ‘only chance’ to fight the Gypsy King, claims his promoter Eddie Hearn.
Joshua is in serious negotiations to take on British heavyweight rival and WBC champion Fury in a Battle of Britain fight in December.
The 32-year-old is coming off the back of two defeats to Oleksandr Usyk and Joshua this week accepted Fury’s terms for a pre-Christmas showdown that the public has wanted for so long but which seemed in danger of never happening.
Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua are in negotiations over a Battle of Britain heavyweight fight
A 60-40 purse split in favour of Fury as the WBC world heavyweight champion had already been agreed and now Joshua has compromised on a December 3 date for one of the biggest battles in UK boxing history, with the deadly duo set to meet at Cardiff’s Principality Stadium.
And Hearn has explained the reasons for Joshua taking on the challenge of the Gypsy King at a financial disadvantage.
‘He thinks: this is my only chance,’ he told Sky Sports. ‘Because if he fights Usyk, win or lose I think he’ll retire or you never know with Fury, he could just never fight again.
‘The reason he accepts these terms is he feels this is the only chance he’ll get to fight Tyson Fury. So therefore, okay, it would have been better to come off a victory but we’re here and (Joshua thinks) I can beat him and I feel good.
‘When he drew to (Deontay) Wilder, we offered Fury the fight against AJ and we offered him 60-40 and he said no and he said I’ll only take 50-50.
‘That’s one of the reasons I wanted to push back on some of the terms. But in the end it was AJ who overruled and said no just accept it.’
When Joshua was defeated by Usyk in their rematch last month, the Battle of Britain with Fury receded into doubt.
But when Usyk asked for time out with his family and front-line comrades in Ukraine’s war with Russia before his inevitable fight with Fury for the undisputed world heavyweight title, the door came ajar.
Fury then called out Joshua last week and the two-time heavyweight champion has accepted with AJ heading straight back into training.
Fury had suspended negotiations between the fighters out of respect for global mourning following the passing of the Queen last week, but Joshua has promoted further discussion by instructing his own management company, 258, to close the deal.
‘258 and Matchroom Boxing can confirm, on behalf of Anthony Joshua, that we accepted all terms presented to us by Fury’s team for a fight Dec 3rd last Friday,’ 258 tweeted on Tuesday. ‘Due to the Queen’s passing, it was agreed to halt all communication. We are awaiting a response.’
Joshua’s team quickly received contact on Twitter from Fury’s promoter Frank Warren on Twitter. Warren replied: ‘Contract will be with you very soon.’
However, the contracts are yet to be signed and some sceptical minds have raised questions over whether the fight will actually take place.
Hearn has met George Warren, one of Fury’s representatives and last Friday accepted their terms in writing.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn believes Fury is genuine in his desire to fight AJ in December
Despite the speculation, Hearn believes that Fury is genuine in his desire to fight Joshua.
He said: ‘If they’re genuine and George tells me they are, then I think the fight will get made.
‘I think George feels his instructions are to make the fight. But you just never know with Tyson Fury… Is this a ploy to speed up the Usyk fight, get more money from a site?
‘It might have been a bluff, or a bit of publicity that actually turns into it happening. Or maybe it was genuine from the start.
‘It could be anything. That’s a sceptical view but right now I’m going along the lines of I believe him because I want to be positive and work together to make it happen.’
‘I think he (Joshua) is coming off a decent performance. He just fancies the fight and fancies his chances. He’s willing to roll the dice.’
The winner of the fight will then procede to fight Usyk in the spring with Fury set to come out of momentary retirement, while Joshua has an opportunity to rebuild his career after two defeats to the Ukrainian.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article